Monday, March 13, 2006

Baby's First Bubbles

One of the joys of a firstborn child is all the firsts that the parents get to experience. Most of these firsts revolve around bodily functions. First green-black-tar poop. First brown poop. First triple-scoop soft-serve chocolate poop. First orange poop. First yellow poop. First liquid poop. First projectile poop that hits the wall six feet away. First pee onto baby’s chin. First spitup, pee and poop at the same exact moment. First Dad fart that could be blamed on baby. It’s all a joy and brings laughter to everybody present. It’s a universal truth that fart sounds never cease to be funny. Who would want to miss these baby firsts? Not this Dad!

I’ve always reviled at the thought of changing someone else’s baby’s diaper, but for some reason I looked forward to changing my own child’s. At first I was somewhat hesitant to face down the first black, sticky meconium, since Clarice had cautioned me how gross it was going to be. But when there was no smell, I did the first three changes with a singular pride that I only knew as a toddler when I claimed my first solo toilet-poop and wouldn’t let my Mom flush it. “I made that!” I truly enjoy changing my baby’s diaper and even have to fight off his mom for the opportunity. We're so independent. Sometimes, Clarice lets me sleep through a change, but when she cries out with a delightful yelp I hop out of bed to see what I missed - an inconceivable assplosion that ramped off the diaper and splattered the onesie, the footsies, the bassinet, the wall, door and floor. Cool! Just wash your feet before you get back into bed! All so matter of fact. Babies do that...

A few days ago, Jackson’s umbilical cord fell off. This led to another first - bathing by immersion instead of sponge bath. This was a new experience that I didn’t get right the first time. For starters, the bathing tub is too big for baby and I filled it too full with pleasing, warm, soapy water. Jackson hates to be cold and dry, but loves to be warm and wet. But he’s so floppy and every time he bent sideways, his ear would almost submerge and Clarice would ask that I not get water in his ears, all the while snapping photos and not helping me save our child from drowning. We learned a few tricks – use a smaller basin, have rinse water awaiting and don’t let baby suck on his soapy fingers. Soap causes diarrhea, don’t you know? Soap also causes poop to bubble out – another awesome first! :)

Ian

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

I was cracking up laughing when I was reading the blog to Uncle Ben. You two are soooo hilarious. And I am glad to hear that all these bodily functions are not boring you guys yet. You will not be so 'bubbly' after a few more months of these routines :)

TheNeedyMother said...

I love that you guys are still posting despite having a newborn! Thank you for sharing :).