Sunday, December 18, 2005

All I Want for Christmas...

A few weeks ago, one of my former roommates blogged about gift giving. She was pondering her lack of real need compared to the great needs of people around the world. She basically asked people who would normally give her gifts for Christmas not to give her gifts, but instead to channel the funds into causes that would serve the needs of others. She also asked to be released of gift giving from people she would normally give to so she could give more generously to worthy causes. I'm a bit late to the game with only 6 more shopping days until Christmas, but I think I'm with her. I really don't need anything. I mean, there are plenty of things I could want, but that's not the same. The only thing I really urgently desire this year, as I ponder the turbulent events of 2005, is for people to experience the life-transforming presence of Jesus Christ. For that really is the reason for the season, isn't it?

Clarice

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You article is very thought-provoking. Maybe we as the Law clan could start this new 'tradition' next year, i.e. to be released of gift-giving and git-receiving. Instead, we could report to each other during our annual get-togethers on what organization and/or projects that we will have given. How does that sound? Any takers? Any suggestions?