Friday, September 14, 2007

Expectant

Ever since Jackson was born, people have been asking us about "the next one." You know...nudge, nudge, wink, wink..."So when's the next one?" I think it took my dad all of one week after meeting his first grandchild before he asked for the next one. I don't quite remember how I responded in my sleep-deprived state of delirium. In fact, for the following year, my general thought upon being so questioned was to cover my ears and loudly sing some non-nursery rhyming song. Nothing like a little Deathcab for Cutie or Alanis Morisette to kill the thought of returning to 8-9 feedings and 10-12 poopy diapers a day. Actually, now that I think of it, it probably would have been better to sing some of those mind-numbing nursery rhymes after all.

However, now that Jackson's turning into a little person, we're starting to dream about the next one. And now we're proud to announce that we're expecting in 10-11 months!!

So...did I get you? Well don't feel bad if I tricked you into a false hope (if you're still confused, remember that pregnancy is traditionally considered to be 9 months). We've been saying that to people for the past month or so and quite a few people have been tricked into thinking that we're actually expecting (including an anonymous person I'll only identify as mom).

But I can honestly say that even though are not expecting, we truly are expectant. Not to get into the revealing details...but actually trying to promote the birth of a child is REALLY different from having it just happen to you (And by "you", I don't mean the hypothetical, non-descript "you". I actually mean Ian and myself). So now I've joined the ranks of those who long for a child. I'm a participant in the regular cycles of hope and disappointment. And I'm realizing that it's a hard place to be. But I am also confident in the goodness of God and the wisdom of His timing. For when we didn't think we were ready to welcome a baby, He brought Jackson. And now that we demand that we're ready for another, I rest assured that He has the right outcome in mind.

Clarice

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, you almost fooled me too. I jumped up and announced the good news to Uncle Ben without even thnking of the '10 to 12 months' phrase!! Then I came back, sat down to read some more then kicked myself for being fooled. Good tease, Cla.

palomarace said...

I too was tricked!
As I read, I gasped "AHHHHHHH!" with a big cheesy grin on my face and THEN I was thoroughly confused by the 10 - 11 months thing. I think I read it three times trying to figure it out before I read on... you're funny clarie clare!

Jules said...

Haha, Auntie Linda! :) So cute. I actually wasn't fooled, but I was confused as to whether you were saying you will be pregnant in 10-11 months or will get pregnant in 1-2 months in order to have a baby by the 10-11th month. haha.