Monday, April 17, 2006

Thank you, Paloma Race!!

I forgot to blog about our adventure last weekend. I had read on my friend Amy's Xanga blog that there was a drive-in theater in Los Angeles that played first run movies. Last weekend, I was quite stir-crazy. After a lifetime occupied by school and work and ten years engaged in the incredibly dynamic community of people at Mosaic, I've been feeling housebound since my maternity leave began. Sure, I've been to work a few times to catch up on some can't-miss meetings, to church, and to people's homes. But we hadn't really done anything date-like since before the baby was born. OK, we did go to the movies one time while Ian's parents were here, but since the live-in grandparental assistance has left and we've been on our own as parents, we haven't done anything fun together.

So last weekend, we packed up the baby, popped some corn, threw a 2-liter bottle of Coke in the car and headed to the City of Industry. We picked up some burgers and parked the car to watch "Inside Man."

OK, so it wasn't a picture perfect date. Jackson got fussy partway through the movie and earned himself a "snack" to quiet him so we could hear the dialogue. Then he leaked through his diaper onto Ian's sweater and earned a messy diaper change in the driver's seat of our cramped Beetle. But it was sooooooo nice to be doing things that people do when they're not in the fog of caring for a newborn. And going to the drive-in was rather nostalgic. Last time I did that, I was in the back seat of my parents' Lincoln Continental with my brother, both of us wearing footies pajamas, watching a Bruce Lee movie. I think we'll be going back to the drive-in again. I highly recommend the experience. Only $7 per person for a double-feature. Can't beat that!!! You can even bring your own food without the shame of having to sneak it in inside a large purse.


Vineland Drive-in
626-961-9262
443 North Vineland Avenue
City of Industry, California

Classic Drive-in that was expanded to 4 screens,
with an overall capacity for over 1500 cars, which
still draws fantastic crowds on most weekends,
as the Los Angeles area's nearest operating Drive-in.
Open year-round, with 4 sets of double features,
and audio provided by FM stereo radio broadcast.
Admission: $7.00 (ages 12&UP); ages 11&under free.

Clarice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooo...maybe we'll try it some night And Bob and I have been meaning to watch Inside Man.

Anyway, it was good seeing you the other day for Easter. You look great to be a mom who just had a baby.

Let me know if you want me to babysit this summer...

vanessa said...

How cool! I've never been to a drive-in movie, maybe we'll check it out sometime. But City of Industry sounds far though...