Thursday, February 15, 2007

Morning Rituals

Every morning when I drop Jackson off at day care I follow a little ritual. When I first pull up in the parking lot, I look back at him and announce, "We're at school." Then I ask him, "Are you ready?" He never answers me in words, but quite often smiles. Then I walk myself around to his side of the the car to get him out. But before I open the door, I always tap on his window to catch his attention and wave. It's been one of my favorite moments of each morning to watch him turn his head to see me and smile his happy Jackson smile. I think my ritual has caught on with him now. Yesterday morning before I got to the point where I tap on the window to catch his attention, he was already looking my way with his silly crunched-nose grin. Now it's our ritual.

Clarice

No comments: