Thursday, June 12, 2008

"I'll love you forever!"

I had to administer a final exam yesterday. Students had 1 hour and 50 minutes to complete a 71 question multiple-choice exam. At 15 minutes to the end of the exam time, there was just one student left in the room, struggling to respond to my erudite questions. All of a sudden, a student came running in, looking as frazzled as could be. She started off by apologizing profusely, saying that although she had set her alarm early enough to make the 8:00 AM start time, she just woke up. She said she hadn't even brushed her teeth yet, which is a serious issue to a dental student. Then she begged me to let her take the final exam. "If you let me take it," she exclaimed, "I'll love you forever". Those were the words I had been waiting to hear my entire academic career. I was so moved by her declaration that I made an exception in the usual academic proceedings to allow her to take her exam late.

Just kidding.

When I heard those words, I was a bit taken aback. I replied something like "I don't know if that's the issue" or "that's not really what I'm looking for here". I don't remember what I said. I just remember being surprised. I mean, give me some justification or tell me that you want the opportunity to demonstrate what you've learned or tell me that an event like this is not consistent with how you intend to practice professionally. But "I'll love you forever"? Why should that matter when the issue has nothing to do with our (heretofore nonexistent, except in a 1:100 ratio) relationship and everything to do with the requirement that students demonstrate that they have learned.

There's something different about this generation of students. I don't quite get it. As much as I love idea of being involved in the process of equipping people to be in positions of influence (yes, dentists are people of influence), I don't know if that's really what I'm doing. Quite frustrating at times.

OK. Venting over. Now it's time to finish grading assignments from that class. Until later....

Clarice

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"There's something different about this generation of students."

Heh. We ARE getting old, aren't we. :) (and I don't mean "we" in the royal sense; I'm definitely including myself in this!)

I find myself saying that sort of thing about many of the younger people I work/serve with/around. Crazy.

I was positive I would never have thoughts like that; thoughts about the "younger" generations being so different/odd/off---whatever. I always thought I'd be able to identify with people/adults no matter how young they were and how old I got.

Sheesh was I wrong.

mel said...

So did you ever let her take the exam? Bob was saying he would've just let her take the exam anyway even though there were only 15 min. left. True, you have a responsibility to train up wise leaders of tomorrow but if she came late, that's mainly her problem...although you may have felt offended by her lack of respect.

Anonymous said...

I can identify with your frustration a little bit. Today's generation of students is the product of our American culture, no doubt...'freedom', irresponsible,me-me-me,it's-never-my-fault..mentality. Sigh!

auntie Linda

CLEyre said...

Mary Lu!! So nice to have you visit!!

Mel, I let her take the exam. And I gave her the full time to do it. I have a very strong recollection of having done the exact same thing. I overslept and showed up about an hour late for one of my finals. I did as much as I could in the last hour, but didn't finish. Because it was a class that I had really enjoyed and wanted to do well in, I went back to my professor and asked if I could finish. Never did I think to make an emotional appeal. And I have been eternally grateful to my professor. So I was a bit shocked that this was the approach this student took, when she had her entire journey to campus to think of a logical justification. But I didn't feel right in penalizing her for a stupid justification.

mel said...

You have such grace Clarice! =P We were thinking that you may have just given her the last 15 minutes to do whatever she can since she showed up late..but if this is usually not consistent with her behavior then it makes sense that you gave her the full time. However if she is a consistently tardy student, then I don't think i would've given her a chance...since it may show that she doesn't really care about what she's learning.