Friday, November 11, 2005

End of the Spear


Ian and I got to see a special preview of this movie two weeks ago. It's set to open to national audiences on January 20, 2006. My mind has drifted back to this movie a number of times. It's based on the true story of the Waodani (formerly known as the Auca Indians), a tribe in Ecuador that was known to be extremely violent, with 60% of all deaths attributed to homicide. In 1956, five missionary men made friendly contact with them, but were speared to death a couple of days later. A few years later, Rachel Saint, the sister of one of the slain men, and Elisabeth Elliot, the wife of another, went to live with the tribe to bring them the message of Jesus. It was an incredibly powerful movie. I thought it was really well-made and told the story in a very compelling way.

The movie also made me recall a conversation I had with my mom close to a decade ago. I think I was telling her about hearing Elisabeth Elliot speak. My mom told me that she remembered hearing the story of the 1956 killings when she was a kid. And when I was young, she read Elisabeth Elliot's "Through Gates of Splendor." She was so inspired by the story of these missionaries, along with the lives of people like Don Richardson, whose books "Lords of the Earth" and "Peace Child" she had also read. For some reason, I remember her telling me that on reading these amazing stories of courage, she started praying that my brother and I would choose to give our lives to serving mankind in the name of Jesus. I've cherished this thought in my heart for many years. And it's grown more poignant now. The whole time we were watching the movie, my unborn little one kept reminding me of his presence, with little kicks and nudges throughout (and a fairly urgent mid-movie bathroom break). And so I repeat my mom's pattern, inspired by the story of people who were willing to give away their lives to bring the message of Jesus to people who hadn't heard, praying that my little one's life will be used to impact people in a powerful, life-transforming way.

This morning the movie drifted into my mind again as I was in one of my thinking spaces (the shower). But this time a specific scene emerged. Nate Saint, the pilot who flew the 5 men into the Waodani camp, is talking to his son, Steve, before he takes off to make contact with the tribe. Steve is concerned that his dad might be harmed, as the Waodani have been growing increasingly more violent. Nate replies (grossly paraphrased), "We have to go to the Waodani and take our chances. The government knows how violent they have become. If we don't go and tell them about how to live in peace, the government will go in and stop them their way." I've been thinking a lot about world events lately. Beheadings and point-blank shootings of Christian girls in Indonesia. Riots and arson in Paris. Bombings in Jordan. The common theme in these events is a tribe of people who have been growing increasingly more violent. So this morning I started thinking about what Nate Saint said. Is there a greater urgency to go tell the Muslim world about Jesus and how He calls us to live in peace? What am I doing to advance this mission? I just hate to see what will happen if we rely on governments to do it their way.

End of the Spear. January 20, 2006. It's been making me think a lot. I'd love to hear what you think.

Clarice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Don Richardson visit CEFC at some point? Because my mom had the same books on her shelf for years. I remember being fascinated by them as a little girl. Reading about the violent tribes (or just a glimpse of the blood red covers) was always good for a nightmare or two. I also remember wishing that the missionaries would change their minds and not go!

Now that I'm older, I understand how necessary it was. But I'm still scared. What if my boys declare someday that they're going to minister in Sudan or Iraq? Of course I'd be proud that they'd want to impact the world for Christ, but I wonder if I'd honestly let them go somewhere so dangerous when I'd be too scared to go, myself.

Fortunately, they're only three years old, so there's time for all of us to think about it. And grow up. ; )

Anonymous said...

Oh, how comforting to know that you would remember something your mother said over a decade ago. I hope and wish my own children will some day remember something good that I said to them. God has really been gracious to you, Cla.

To ponder on Daphne's comment...Now that I am a mother of grown children, I dare to venture out to say and pray that it would be a tremendous honor and gratitude to God if and when my children would go to be missionaries in far away lands. Jesus endured so much on the cross for us, can we do less?