Monday, November 07, 2005

YummyYummyYummyYummy

Before I got married, I knew there would be some things that would be different. I mean...living with a man surely wouldn't be the same experience as my three and a half years in a lovely 1920's era, Spanish-style duplex, living a sorority-like existence with 4 supremely considerate, service-oriented women. So I braced myself for burping, farting, and b.o.....smelly socks and bvd's lying around...the typical things a woman expects from living with a man.

I didn't expect middle of the night awakenings.

It turns out that my husband is rather animated in his sleep. Sometimes I awaken to the bray of a mouth-trumpet or a big sigh of "Aiya!" (the Chinese phrase I stupidly taught him). One time, he shouted out "That's cool!!" and let out a big belly laugh. Another time, he started shivering and kicking and saying "Brrrrr!"

But the best episode was a few days ago. I first woke up because the whole bed was shaking. He was kicking and hugging himself in mirth. I don't know what he was dreaming about, but he kept saying "YummyYummyYummyYummy!!" Then I woke him up because I started laughing.

These middle of the night awakenings have been a surprising delight for me. Going back to sleep isn't a problem at all. And remembering the silly incidences the next day is just as funny. Sometimes I'll be driving home and suddenly remember a particular event and just crack myself up. The laughter I derive from his mid-night escapades is just an extension of the laughter we share in the waking hours. Having someone to laugh with (or at) this much wasn't on my list of non-negotiables when I was considering what kind of man I would want to marry. No, I had some high-falutin spriritual criteria on that list. But, boy, has it made marriage rich. Better than that, it's given me a window into who my husband is. He laughs and makes me laugh because he enjoys life. That's good for someone who's as goal-directed as I can be. And he is secure enough that my laughing at him doesn't bother him at all. No, when he hears my laughter in the middle of the night, he wakes up and asks me to tell him what funny thing he's done.

Well, time to head off to bed. Who knows what his dreams will inspire tonight.

claw

2 comments:

TheNeedyMother said...

I love this post! Yummmmy! Yes, it takes a secure man to be able to have this posted of him. How's that for vulnerability, Ian?!

Sandra Vahtel said...

This one had me giggling out loud. Just great.