Monday, January 30, 2006

Homage to Musicians

I've been playing the bass for my church, Mosaic, a lot lately. I used to play quite regularly, but took a break for a while to do other things. One of the great things about having played for Mosaic over the past 8 years has been the high caliber of musicians I've been privileged to play with. I don't think that many dentists get to work with as many talented musicians as I have. It's been a humbling experience.

Last September was a highlight event in my life with musicians. Ian and I went to a retreat for the Artisans at Mosaic. We broke up by artistic disciplines. Ian went with the filmmakers, I went with the musicians. We were given two days to write and arrange a song that might be used in Pastor Erwin's series in the book of Philippians. I joined a group of musicians that happened to have three songwriters. Shane Mills had a chord progression in mind that he started playing through. Since I'm not a songwriter, my job was to read through the text of Philippians to see if anything related to the theme hit us. I remember homing in on chapter 2, which I knew to be a favorite of Pastor Erwin's, and seeing this phrase about "shining like stars" jump out. Eunice Sim, one of the other songwriters started improvising a chorus around the theme and then our time was up for the day. After sleeping on the idea, Carrie Arcos, English teacher and poetess extraordinare, came back with lyrics. Eunice's husband, Taylor Hanson (not of the teeny-bopper band, Hanson), and the other half of her new band Redpoll, thought of a chord sequence for a musical interlude and we had a song. It was an amazing thing to watch. I'm linking to Like the One because I think the talent of this bunch of folks should be acknowledged and the song should be heard.

While I'm at it, I wanted to bring attention to some other incredible musicians I've played with. Look out for them in the future...
*Thena Dare played at our wedding reception and sang the song for our first dance. Beautiful voice, intelligent lyrics, lovely heart. I haven't played with her husband, Ted Beam, but he was a part of our reception also.
*Kelda, who was part of the very first worship band I played with at Mosaic.
*Cynthia Vazquez, aka Juna Knight, who shared an amazing journey to Thailand with me, jamming on guitar and mandolin almost every night.
*Joby Harris the artist, and the musician.
*Dominic Massaro, who I don't play with too often, since he's the other go-to bass player at Mosaic.
*New bandmates Matt Shockley and Jason Joseph

Hope you enjoy!
Clarice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I AM impressed! Thanks for sharing. I didn't know.

Anonymous said...

We were feeling reckless the other day and put the ol' iPod on "shuffle." Within the first 5 songs, there was one Eunice Sim and one Thena Dare. Given the thousands of songs on that thing, what are the chances?

By the way, whenever I see you playing bass now, I wonder what Juanito is thinking. (I guess there are no amps in there, but it must give him a nice buzz anyways.) When I was pregnant, the boys used to go crazy during Mosaic worship sets. Kids obviously develop good taste at an early age!