Monday, February 20, 2006

Oooo! He's just a teeny little guy!

That's what the midwife said a few weeks ago when she palpated my belly. And then last week, I saw another midwife, who said, "Well, you've got a compact little fellow in there." To confirm that, the ultrasound technician estimated Juancho's weight to be about 5.5 pounds 2 weeks ago. So with 3 more weeks to go, I'm guessing that my little guy will be more like Olivia than Peanut. I'm going to estimate that he comes in at around 7 pounds, but long.

It's probably no surprise that the professionals think Juancho's small. Ian and I are both metabolically blessed. We're figuring this kid will end up being tall and skinny also. Perhaps the most surprising thing in the above paragraph is the mention of the word midwife. Yep, I'm actually considering a natural childbirth. For people who know me, this is probably a laughable idea. I'm really not big into pain...or exertion for that matter. Never really exercised much because of the whole "sweat" factor. My biggest fitness goal was about 2 years ago. My old roommate started training for a marathon. In support of her effort, I set my own goal - by the time she could run 10 miles, I would make it a goal to run a mile. It took me a month to get there (did you know it hurts your muscles to run?), but I can now say that I did it...once (thanks Cal and Mish!).

In the past, whenever I entertained the idea of bearing a child, I was fairly convinced that I would go the whole medicated route. Just put in the drugs and away we go. I think I even nursed the idea of an elective C-section just to avoid the pain. But now that I'm here, I'm thinking I'd like to at least try to do it the way women have done it for thousands of years. You can blame it on some of the tough chicks I know who have told me their beautiful birthing stories. My friend Lilia, who has the mental toughness and sacrificial attitude to put her dreams aside for her family. My friend Kathy, who had 3 boys naturally while building a pediatric dental/orthodontic practice from scratch (the third son was born at home!). And my sister-in-law Becky, who pushed through a Chemical Engineering degree from Georgia Tech even though she knew she would be serving in missions after graduating, then pushed through the birth of my human nephews and niece. I figure if these gals can do it.... I may be physically weak, but I have the stuff to be mentally tough.... I think. Plus, my dad's a clinical psychologist and is trained in hypnosis. Maybe he can help. And.... Juancho's looking to be a little one. If not, I DID check with the midwives in case I wimp out. They said I could change my mind at (almost) any time and ask for the drugs. Any advice, those of you who have been there?

Clarice

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget MaMa who did it with 4 sons! Naturally too, I suppose. ; )

Anonymous said...

If I could go back & do the 2 births again, I'd have gone natural.

Anonymous said...

Oops - sorry no name! It's Wendy (Ah Wing) mom of Charissa & Kevin. During K's birth, the drug wore off by the time I needed to push & that was good. I felt more in control.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can provide any words of wisdom on this one. My c-section was planned from day one and both boys were out within 5 minutes. I think that must be the polar opposite of natural childbirth. (And if I had to do it all again, I'd do the exact same thing! Yay for c-sections and drugs!)

For balance, though, one of my friends had her two kids at home in her own bed and thought it was a wonderful and magical experience. : )

Anonymous said...

own bed sounds a little gross though but i can somewhat understand why some women would want to have natural childbirth. drugs are great though. you'll have enough pain later to deal with especially during those teenage years so they say!

Anonymous said...

Clarice,

Our first baby Lucy was born drug-free in a birthing center with a midwife and a doulah directing things and cleaning up the mess. I caught her when she squirted out, all 11 pounds.

Our second baby Sam was born drug-free at home in our large bathtub, without a midwife (I cleaned up the mess). I caught him when he squirted out into the warm water, all 11 pounds.

My wife Kerry can't imagine why any mother would want to be on pain medication during such a wonderful experience.

-Dave (Ian's friend from Tech)