Sunday, February 05, 2006

Retired

Today during the music worship set at church I was not on stage playing with the band. I got to stand with the rest of the Mosaic community. It was rather bittersweet. I loved having my voice rise up intermingled with the voices of others around me. But at the same time, I've been playing rather consistently for the past few months and I don't know when I'll be playing again. Really, up until last fall, I hadn't played for a long time, but that was my choice. Now with Junior coming, I realize that it might be difficult to do this again regularly for a while. I think I'll miss it a lot.

When my pregnancy started advancing, I was quite insistent on wanting to play at least once during my third trimester. So I wouldn't be just the tall Asian woman playing the bass, I was the tall pregnant Asian woman playing the bass. OK, I admit it, I have occasional "look-at-me" moments. As an aside, I'm not sure how this is going to affect my little boy. If there's a "look-at-me" gene, and I've proven to express a mild form of it, what'll happen when daddy Ian's genes get thrown in?

Back closer to the original subject - pregnant ladies playing the bass. People have commented on how Junior will probably have good rhythm since my bass gets pressed right up against where his head is when I play. I really think Junior may be growing to like music. Usually in the first few minutes of playing, he'll move around really vigorously. Then he'll settle down into a slow groove of dancing around in his watery home. At least, I assume it's dancing...or at least a happy type of movement. At this point I really don't know what kind of movement is happy movement and what kind is unhappy. But I will choose to be optimistic and believe I'm inspiring...or at least indoctrinating...a future musician. I actually wouldn't mind raising a drummer or bass player. I doubt Ian will have any problem with the noise either. So if I don't get to play for Mosaic much anymore, I can look forward to jamming with my son. That'll be worth it!

Clarice

3 comments:

vanessa said...

I thought you had the baby a month early since I didn't see you up on stage last Sunday =)

Faetryn said...

plus, drummers and bassists are hot. ;)

Anonymous said...

love following your posts...

Emi's been learning to hit on the drums. Maybe the cousins can jam some day :)