Monday, February 20, 2006

When snoring is a good thing

WARNING: contains content that may be offensive to snorers or the spouses of snorers.

Never thought I would think snoring was a good thing. It's a rather unpleasant disturbance that has recently tainted our marriage. A few months ago, when Ian started snoring, I was annoyed at the idea that my beauty sleep was being interrupted on a regular basis after months of peace. Then shortly thereafter, I found out that I was starting to snore as well. I was rather dismayed at the prospect that I might be joining him in the ranks of adult-onset snorers. Well, I've since reckoned with the idea that I now snore. For the time being, I don't mind so much. See, I've been reading that it's not good for pregnant women to sleep on their backs. Apparently the weight of the baby on the aorta can cut off circulation. I'm pretty convinced that we don't want that to happen. So it's really good news that I snore now because it only happens when I sleep on my back. And the best thing (huh?!?) is that when I snore, I manage to do so loud enough to wake myself up. So this snoring is simply a preventive measure. I roll on my back in my sleep. I start to snore. I wake myself up. I realize I'm cutting off circulation to my limbs and my child. I turn on my side. Disaster averted. And it's not such a bad thing when Ian's snoring wakes me up these days. It usually happens at just about the time I should be taking a middle-of-the-night potty break. I just hope that this snoring thing is a temporary thing for me. It's starting to get louder now. Last night, Mr Sleeps-like-a-rock woke up to tell me to turn over. We don't need this taking-turns-waking-each-other-up-with-snoring business to be a regular part of our sleeping lives. We've already been warned about the impact that infants have on sleep. Don't need to have snoring worsen that. But for now, it's a good thing.

Clarice

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So this snoring is simply a preventive measure.

Yeah. That's it. Preventative measure. Uh-huh.
:)

Miss you, woman!