Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ian's U.S. Naturalization Day

I finally got a letter from INS to appear at the L.A. Convention Center on Thursday 9/11 to swear in as an American Citizen.

The fact that it was at the convention center should have clued me in to the demand for naturalization in California, the world's seventh largest economy, but just a few months ago I had attended my sister's nice, small swearing-in ceremony in Atlanta. The new citizens went in first to process in and verify that no changes to a person's marital or criminal status had occurred since the approval interview. Then the guests were allowed in to wait in a large room for an hour and entertain the restless toddlers. Finally, we filed into the district courtroom for a very nice ceremony that included hearing each name and nationality. There were 75 total new citizens and 50 countries represented.

Contrast that to my experience. There were 6,121 new citizens and no chance to be called by name or learn the demographics of the room. I noticed plenty of spanish and asian origin and one tall white man from eastern Europe. It was a cattle call. I was able to make brief contact with my wife and children so they could look in my general direction. After group oath-swearing, the pledge of allegiance and a video address by President Bush, all six thousand of us traded in our green cards for our proof-of-citizenship certificate, which surprisingly took less than an hour.

I'd love to post a picture of my Certificate of Naturalization, but since; "It is punishable by U.S. Law to copy, print or photograph this certificate, without lawful authority," I'll just show you the letter I received from President Bush.

Meanwhile, my family waited patiently outside, entertained by light-hearted heckling between the Republican Party and Democrat Party voter sign-up booths. I got my picture taken with a life-size cutout of McCain. Then we went out to dinner with some friends to celebrate.

Despite the impersonal aspects, I found myself in serious and grateful contemplation throughout the experience. I've been in America since I was nine and don't remember feeling any allegiance to my home country Canada. I've always cared for American interests and issues ever since the Reagan presidential campaign. I've only paid taxes here and I registering with the Selective Service when I turned eighteen. In 1990, while working as a co-op student for McDonnell Douglas Helicopter, builder of the Apache attack helicopter, the first Gulf war began and there was talk of a possible draft. I knew I was eligible and I was willing to fight for America back then. In fact, during my oath-swearing ceremony, about a hundred new citizens were recognized for serving in the armed forces to expedite their citizen process. Nobody forced them or me to care this deeply for America.

America is a great nation that for the most part shares my values. There is great opportunity here for personal advancement and service to mankind. American principles and ideals are worth fighting for and I'm proud to be an American.

Ian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got yours. I am still waiting after 30 months.

Vampier said...

I was there too, did you have the mornign or afternoon session?