Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What is he thinking?

Sometimes I watch Jackson's antics and I wonder just what he's thinking.

Last night we were getting ready for dinner so I started giving Jackson some instructions on what to do (clean up toys, try the potty, wash hands...). I guess he must have gotten tired of hearing me give instructions for the umpteenth time in the one hour we had been home because he covered his ears and turned his face away from me. When he took his hands of his ears, I asked him what he was doing? No answer. So I started repeating my instructions. He immediately covered his ears again and watched me for my response. I was in a silly mood so I started just silently moving my mouth in an exaggerated fashion. He looked baffled for a minute, then uncovered his ears (I guess to check my speaking volume). As soon as he took his hands off his ears I returned to my normal speaking voice. So he covered his ears again and I went to silent mode. This time, I got a laugh from him and we went back and forth a few more times.

Later in the evening, I had propped Kiran up on the sofa so she could watch Jackson playing. He suddenly jumped on the sofa. It looked like he was grabbing her head and getting a little too close to her face for my comfort. I immediately jumped up to protect the poor babe from her overzealous brother. When I got closer I saw that he was mouthing nonsensically to her. The hands were actually just covering her ears. I had to crack up. I've been cracking myself up all day long at the memory of him covering the baby's ears and mouthing silently to her. I just don't know what he's thinking sometimes. Between the moments of frustration at dealing with his "two-ness", come moments like these that are just pure delight.

Clarice

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Clarice,
I admire the way you make ordinary incidents sound and look so much fun, even when you are caring for a 'two-ness' toddler and a new-born infant. This is so not easy....and have time to write on your political blog....Wow!!

auntie Linda