Monday, October 20, 2008

Developing a Maternal Instinct

No, not me. I've got my maternal instinct intact now that I'm the mother of two children.

And not Ian. He's done a great job as Mr Mom for Jackson and now Kiran.

Jackson's the one who is beginning to demonstrate a maternal instinct. Last post was about how he naturally gravitated toward toys that involve motion or building. He's definitely all boy. But this morning he did something so sweetly maternal. I was walking by his room this morning as I was getting ready for work. When I peeked in on him, I saw him standing near the portable heater (don't worry, mom, it has an outer shell that doesn't fully transmit the heat...precious fingers are guarded from burning). He was holding one of his plush dogs right up against the heater. I didn't think that was too safe so I went in to move the doggy away from the heater. He protested mightily as I tried to remove the doggy from his hands, and shouted "No! The doggy has to stay!" I eased my grip on the doggy, but I told him that it wasn't safe so close to the heater. He inched away from heater a bit, but stayed quite close. A lightbulb went off in my head, so I asked him, "Is the doggy cold?" "Yeah," he replied. Then he refocused on the doggy, gently stroking its head, murmuring, "I know, doggy, I know. It's okay. Is your body warm now?" I think I had a grin on my face for at least half an hour.

It reminded me of an incident a week ago. Jackson was playing in his little friend Alaina's room last week. Ian was with him and called me to see what they were doing. Jackson was cradling a teddy bear and murmuring to it. Ian told me that Jackson had told him that the teddy was a baby named Kiran. Jackson had told Ian that he was feeding it (albeit through his shirt). Then Jackson upended the teddy over his shoulder and began patting its back.

Sweet, sweet things that children do. Now I'm looking forward to seeing what my little girl is going to do in a few years.

Clarice

No comments: