Sunday, October 26, 2008

Living Wide Awake

I rarely see my name in print and only remember one instance; my name is on the back cover of the DVD for Vengeance Trail, a low budget Western at Blockbuster. I did work on some Aero-Acoustic research projects at Georgia Tech Research Institute that were published, but I seriously doubt if my name was mentioned. Recently, I have been quoted by my friend and pastor at Mosaic, Erwin McManus, in his latest book called Wide Awake. It's quite an honor and quite humbling.

On page 135, Erwin tells the story of how I was training him for high-fall stunts on a short film he was starring in called "Such Great Heights." On one fall, he took his eyes off the mark and landed off center, causing his feet to wrap off the edge of the high-fall pad and smack the ground. I happened to make an offhand comment that "you always hit what you're looking at" and Erwin, in his amazingly relevant way, was able to make a profound example of the whole experience.

Now, I probably picked up the pithy wisdom from mistakes I had made in stunt training over the years. I once over-rotated on a 45 foot high fall and whiplashed my neck so hard that I had to get acupuncture because my chiropractor and an orthopedic deep-tissue massage tech couldn't relax the spastic knot in my neck. Another time, I laid down my street motorcycle when I was taking a turn too fast and out of fear took my eyes off the turn ahead, placing my focus on the ditch that I so desperately desired to avoid. I also know that skateboarders, race-car drivers and helicopter pilots always look as far ahead to the horizon that they can in order to make the most streamlined maneuvers.

I'm glad that I could pass on something that I have learned. It's far wiser to learn something from somebody else's experience instead of learning it the hard way, but alas, I am still on that pursuit of wisdom. I do hope that Erwin's ankle doesn't hold any grudges.

In any case, Erwin McManus is talking through each chapter of Wide Awake at Mosaic through the end of November. If you would like the book, I still have a few copies to give away so please email me. Or you may join our gatherings at one of seven locations and receive a free book and meet the author.

If you want to know more, you can "Look Inside" at Amazon or click on this overview.

Ian

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Though this is an old post, do you have any copies still? If so, e-mail me at ichthus_man@hotmail.com I would appreciate a copy.

Have a great day!

Serving Him ~
Jarrod

jarrodspencer.blogspot.com