Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Conflicted about the conflict

Probably won't be written with much flair. I just need to throw this out to the blogosphere for input. I feel a bit conflicted about this Middle East conflict. I was recently invited to go to Damascus, Syria. The Syrian Society of Pediatric Dentists wants me to give a few lectures. They haven't specified what they want me to talk about, but I'm not going to worry about whether or not I can pull it off because they offered to pay my airfare and house me. Ian and I were so excited. I mean, how often do you get the chance to go to the city Saul/Paul was traveling to when he encountered Jesus? On someone else's dime?

Up until a week ago, the only conflict was how well Jackson would take to a >25 hour flight. But my parents solved that by offering to watch Jackson for us so we wouldn't have to worry. But now there's more to ponder. It's obviously not the safest place to be. I read that Israeli planes were buzzing over the President/Prime Minister's house a couple of weeks ago. Now there's the word that folks suspect that Syria's a serious backer or Hezbollah. So what to do? I'd almost like to withdraw in a show of support for Israel. I understand that God's got a tender spot for that people group. And I definitely want to support the one valid democracy in the Middle East. And now that I have a little kid to care for, I don't want to take any more risks than I have to. But, man, the chance to travel to that region of the world. And to bring the presence of God, which lives within me, to this area which very much needs His truth... What to do?

Clarice

6 comments:

Sandra Vahtel said...

Go.

Anonymous said...

Ask Condaleeza!

http://damascus.usembassy.gov/
http://travel.state.gov/
http://www.state.gov/travelandbusiness/
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1231.html

Anonymous said...

when do you have to reply by?

pray hard as you always do and see how He continues to guide.

TheNeedyMother said...

My instinct is to say, "Go." But I also don't know how it is to be a mother and a wife. However, I know that when God opens a door, He also says, "Be bold and very courageous..." .

He is with you regardless of what happens.

Anonymous said...

Trust Him and GO!
We comit to saing "Yes" to His requests, even before we are asked. Say YES Clarice, say YES!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I tend to be more cautious since I am from the 'old country'. To say that you will bring the presence of God to these people with the short time that you will be there is a little idealistic, don't you think? But then our God is a God of miracles. Who knows what He will do. Have you guys decided yet?